A fairly girl Reunion, Ben Affleck’s Cold Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film ten years within the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere again teamed up along with their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, who passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore scared of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 times additionally the jaded divorced newsprint columnist determined to see her run for a time that is fourth. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted into the theater to start to see the set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact into the works for over 10 years with several other a-listers connected to star at some time, a larger blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, compliment of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both independently and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, regardless if it had been hardly ever made and had an ending that is different one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially expected to star into the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience as being a runaway bride, listed below are 20 enjoyable facts you do not find out about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride had been really into the works well with over 10 years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and journalist that is cynical.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the film, however it dropped apart as soon as the director that is first in had problems with the script. On the next several years, stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all into the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been thinking about playing Maggie and urged the project ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie along with her suitors–and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, because of the studio liking the basic concept of a younger couple. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, one of several manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. While he enjoyed the script, Gere had one condition the studio had to fulfill before he finalized on to try out Ike: “when you can get Julia, i am in.” Roberts, who’d initially been uncertain associated with the film whenever she read a past form of the script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a call together with her old Pretty lady main character, the film movie stars had been prepared to reunite.
“People have already been hoping to get them right back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles occasions. “And abruptly it happened—it ended up being all settled in per week.”
4. The phone that is next ended up being one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, while they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to help make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale once more. There was clearly one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to simply simply just take their spouse to Australia for the vacation that is much-needed.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled into the publication. “They shared with her such things as, ‘ just How usually do we get to be able to try this?’ and, ‘We’ll just simply just take care that is good of,’ therefore finally I said, ‘OK, I’ll do so.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly stress-free experience for the trio onlinebrides, with Marshall noting an alteration in their main character, now equipped with decade of expertise on sets along with stardom.
“Richard was indeed really careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more happy to be funny,” the manager said. “Mostly we chatted inside our very very own small shorthand. All I experienced to accomplish ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. After getting A-listers Roberts and Gere up to speed, the film’s spending plan soared to $70 million, an unusually large number for an intimate comedy. As well as back-end gross on the movie, Roberts attained $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie stars shown worthy of the big paydays, as Runaway Bride started at No. 1 during the package workplace, getting a week-end total of around $35 million, undoubtedly the opening that is best ever for a Roberts movie during the time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million globally), becoming a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching right straight back from the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that secret was at the movie that is first you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful material in the film, it really did not have the secret associated with very very very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same type of delicious miracle had been reckless. It absolutely was an alternative film, it had been a different sort of time, she was at a new spot, I happened to be in a unique spot.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the little city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million to the regional economy, upped the true estate market and very nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s release.
“we have actually been totally surprised,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun associated with the effect the movie had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. “the film had been the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It place us in the map.”
9. As soon as called “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere car continues to be a place of pride for Berlin, using the town holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People can be found in in addition they wish to hear, ‘Hey did you can get to satisfy Richard Gere? what exactly is Julia Roberts like? Can we come across your house? Where was the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought you know what, we are going to provide the people what they need in addition they wish to celebrate the film so we are likely to take action up because of its twentieth anniversary.”